- This site and any site in the Internet are fully recoverable, without
having to see all pages, one by one. To do this, you need a recovery software,
this is one.
- It is very effective and flexible, and also it allows to download
only the pages updated from the last downlaod. And there versions in russian,
german, french, spanish, portuguese, norwegian, greek, czech (the help file is
Super to keep his favorite sites !
- For instance, to keep the freeware Pressibus site :
- by the command "File - Options..." choose the folder of your disk where you
want to download the sites.
- in the left sub-window (right click to display a context menu, or command
"Items - Add folders"), you create a folder that you call, for example,
- by a right click on the left sub-window ("Add..."), you write the URL of
the site to download, as shown in this picture :
- the parameters of this sheet are to be carely defined, to determine what is
to be downloaded (the pages of others sites ? How many deepth levels ?...). It
is here that you say whether you want only the last modifications from the
last download. Some values of these parameters are not easy to find and
perhaps you have to try (particularly for the "Download only on this path and
down"), so that you will only keep what is intersting for you, not more.
- the sheet "advanced" allows you to be mere precise. For instance, you may
ask to not download the pages fr*.html of the Pressibus site, so that you will
not download the pages in the french language. Yes, I say it is super...
- by a right click on the URL , a context menu launches the command "Execute"
(you may also use a menu command, or a button). The download is then in
execution and you see the logs in the bottom sub-window. An icon in the tray
bar may be displayed to access the running programm.
- It is possible to download several sites in the same time. Also, the
downloads may be scheduled
- When finished, the Html pages are in two versions in the disk :
- under the real name, with available links, adapted to the hard disk
- under the extension ".primary", in the original version (to exactly
recognize what is already downloaded).
- After one or two tries, this powerful and pratical programm becomes
- The documentation says that "This program was designed for our
Intranet", but I use it only for the Internet, and I am very well satisfied.
I also have to say that this program may also download on a Web
server and may work with a proxy server. Sometimes, the download is not
complete.Happily, generally, it is good...
- Be care, in september 1998, Web Downloader had major version and
became Offline Explorer, but... but... it is not a freeware. As the
free version is enough for me, I put it on this site in french version (209 Kb,
zipped format) and in english
version (301 Kb, zipped format). It also existed versions in russian,
greek, norvegian, german, spanish, czech...
- The author, Oleg Chernavin, is Russian. I don't know if Web
Downloader is on his old
site, very hard to access. But you will find Offline Explorer on his site
Meta Products (see the
sympathetical screenshot...). In 2003, you have more to see here.