- Out of date the Pkzip and Winzip, this is the third generation of the Zip compressors. On my two disks of 1,6 Gb, I have win 1 Gb, and I kept all my files and I always used all my programs as before.
- Zip magic considers that the compressed zip files (that may contains several files or folders) are, in fact, folders as others (with sub-folders, programs etc). If you compress a folder (= transform it in a .zip) (it is very easy, you only have to rename it with the extension .zip) it is as useful as before.
To fill all the little holes of your disk
- Knowing that in a big disk, a little file takes a place 10 or 20 times greater than its own (easy to see with Disk Data and DFolder), I won 500 Mb by compressing thousands of little files in my "Startup Menu", in my Web archives, my icons and cursors collections. The others 500 Mb were obtained by compressing miscellaneous archives and games (which, I repeat, may always be launched - useful for games zipped on CD-Rom !).
- Zip Magic is always absent (we forget it is here...) and anywhere present (icons of zipped files/folders, its place in the control panel, in the context menu...). parameters are powerful (some programs may ignore that zipped files are folders), and, we find in it all the functionnalities of others compressor softwares.
- However, I don't use the Zip Magic icon in the tray bar, neither the Zip Magic Archive manager (an explorer not really better than the Windows 95 one, except that it shows the compression ratios and sort the files by extension).
- Some restrictions to remember : don't compress folders with too many files or with files often updated. It is not a whole disk compressor : zipped folders may be damaged.
- Here you see the Windows 95 explorer, and a program in a sub-folder of a .zip file/folder is going to be launched, as if nothing was compressed...
- Zip Magic (old name : Zip Folder) is a 35 $ shareware. To try it (one month, not more !) and then get the software, go to the Mijenix site.